Photo by Payje Bier/Payje Bier Photography (www.p-b-photography.com)
Please forgive the lighting in this picture, it's night time and all we have is a fluorescent light in the kitchen and it was a little late to get a whole photoshoot set up! Maybe I'll take some other pictures tomorrow.
Yes I am talking about Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes. Justin and I went to the State Fair last weekend and had deep fried cookie dough, and it has been looming in my mind ever since. I was roaming the internet trying to find something to compare (I do have a deep fryer but deep frying cookie dough seemed like one of those "don't try this at home" type of things). But, I found this recipe on Allrecipes, which is my go-to site for any recipe ever. I followed it to a T, and the cupcakes came out perfect. To make the chocolate butter cream frosting I just kind of winged it, but it came out great and luckily for you guys I wrote down everything I did. Here we go!!!
What you need:
1 1/2 cups flour (just normal flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 box yellow cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup canola oil
What you do:
1. Whisk or sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the butter, white, and brown sugar until smooth. Add one egg and the vanilla extract and continue to beat.
2. Mix in the flour mixture and stir until smooth, then add the chocolate chips. Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on a cookie sheet. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners, or grease the tins generously.
4. Beat 3 eggs, cake mix, water and oil in a large bowl for about 2 minutes on medium speed. Fill cupcake cups about 1/2 way full with mixture. Place a ball of cookie dough directly on top of each cupcake.
5. Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the cake part comes out clean.
Now on to the frosting:
What you need:
1 cup butter softened (I used unsalted because that's what I had, I don't know how it would work with regular butter)
3 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (if you're using salted butter I would skip the salt)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 tablespoons milk
What you do:
Put everything in a large bowl and beat it all together for about 3 minutes on low to medium speed. It's that easy. If you need more milk, use more milk. If it's too runny, throw some more sugar in there.
That's all there is to it! I was lucky there were any cupcakes left to take pictures of this evening, my boyfriend was eating them like a world without cupcakes was coming tomorrow. Also something great about this recipe is the yellow cake (Betty Crocker) was only .61 at Smith's this week! And I already had every other thing here in the house, you probably have most of it too so you're really not paying much to make these!